Cancer survivor Sam Rowe wants expectations tempered about when Jesse Hogan might return to the AFL.
Hogan's surgery on Tuesday for testicular cancer went well and his prognosis is good.
He is not expected to need chemotherapy and while Melbourne have given the key forward indefinite leave, Hogan might be ready to play again in four to eight weeks.
But Rowe, the Carlton defender who survived testicular cancer in 2012, said Hogan will have a lot to overcome.
'At the moment, everyone should temper their expectations with Jesse a fair bit,' Rowe told SEN.
'I don't think it's about him rushing back to play footy this year.
'If he does, that's fantastic, but I think everyone should expect Jesse gets all the time he needs to deal with it.
'Physically and emotionally, he's going through a pretty tough time.'
It is just three weeks since Hogan's father Tony died of a different form of cancer.
Rowe has sent Hogan a message a support.
In a weird twist to the terrible bond they now share, Hogan was suspended earlier this season for striking Rowe.
Hogan's illness was also made public a year to the day since Hawthorn captain Jarryd Roughead learned he had a recurrence of melanoma.
Roughead had treatment that sidelined him for the rest of last season and, like Rowe, he made a full recovery.
Hogan's teammates were told of his illness on Friday.
Co-captain Jack Viney mentioned Hogan's plight just before they ran out for the Saturday night game against Adelaide, which they won in a big upset.
'I think when Vines mentions it just when you're about to run out into your position ... it certainly put things into perspective,' Lewis told Fox Footy.
'(He said) just go out and enjoy it. You know, play hard.
'One of our own is at home who is sick, who would love to be out here so take the opportunity and enjoy it.
'It was certainly mentioned going into the game that one of ours was hurting at home, so if you're going through a tough time (in the game), dig deep.'